Position Title: RF Engineer III
Position Type: Contract
Our client is a leading wireless telecommunications equipment vendor supporting multiple Tier I wireless operators in the US. This position focuses on the OEM’s 5G portfolio of products and the position is operator agnostic. The ideal candidate will have strong experience in LTE Design and Optimization and is eager to get involved in NR.
The RF Engineer III is responsible for the design, analysis, implementation, optimization and enhancement of wireless telecommunications networks. Responsibilities include link budgets analysis, system dimensioning for coverage and capacity including traffic analysis, frequency planning, interference analysis and optimization. They are able to work independently with limited guidance to accomplish goals and objectives. They plan and execute their own work and provide guidance and/or training to others. They adapt to changes in a dynamic business environment, support management initiatives, and guide other engineers. They exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions and results. They are able to present ideas, technical and non-technical, in a logical, compelling manner in a written format and verbally in both small and large group settings.
- Experience with at least one of the common industry propagation tools (Planet, Tornado, Wizard, Odyssey, dB Planner, etc.) for model calibration, drive test data post-processing, map generation, frequency planning and interference matrix analysis, site database maintenance, etc
- Carry out optimization techniques (proper antenna selection for optimal horizontal/vertical performance, mechanical/electrical tilting, appropriate transmit power setting, antenna clearance, neighbor list analysis, etc.) for optimal site/cluster performance
- Work with the Implementation and Operations Teams on the cell site’s antenna and RF equipment configuration and database parameters
- Communicate RF team budget, milestones and deliverables to project management and implement plans to accomplish the milestones within budget, as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering; Master’s Degree a plus; 8+ years’ work experience in the wireless industry
- Successful track record defining direction and providing specific instruction for engineering projects/programs leveraging personal knowledge and organizational skills to increase team efficiency, facilitate personal development and mentor colleagues.
- Demonstrated research and problem-solving skills via prior work experience. Experience with wireless infrastructure provider and/or operator is desired.
- A solid understanding of RF fundamentals and data network protocols
- Strong technical knowledge of CDMA/EVDO and LTE/Volte technologies
- Experience with parameter optimization, testing, drive-data and peg count analysis is required
- Must have a strong work ethic, integrity and work extremely well in a team environment
- Must have an aptitude for creativity and innovation
- Programming knowledge and experience a plus: PERL, VBA, PHP
- DAS and In Building experience a plus
- Advanced working knowledge of Base Station Vendor equipment (Samsung, Alcatel Lucent, Ericsson)
- Proficient in the use of Mapping Software, such as, MapInfo
- Experience with RF propagation planning tools a plus
- Advanced working experience on Microsoft Excel, Power Point and Access Database
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment